Saturday, January 21, 2012

What Is Art?

As Karen mentioned during class, sometimes in life it is hard to say everything on your mind that's when we turn to art for help. Any form of art that you create enables you to express your feelings in a healthy way. It's a way of being yourself without having to worry about anyone else.
That's why I don't think an artist should be limited to what they create because of fear of offending someone. I understand that somethings may not be appropriate to be displayed in an art museum, but I think an artist should have freedom to create whatever they want as long as it does not harm anyone (physically).  Psychologically harming someone is also wrong but I think that's a part of art too. Art should evoke feelings from the viewer.
 The best piece of art are the ones that make people take a second look and continue to think and discuss about long after looking at it.
So what exactly is art? I think art is anything that someone can see beauty in. The composer we talked about during class who wanted people to see the art in silence may not be what I would normally think of when I think of art but to him it was, so it's art. As long as something appeals to at least one person than it's art.

No comments:

Post a Comment