Sunday, January 22, 2012

2nd Quarter Reflection

This quarter has been one of my most stressful quarters in high school. I had so many things all going on at once in my life that sometimes when I got to class I felt checked out.
That's why I feel like I can relate to this unit the most because I've been relying heavily on art, these two months, to clear my head after a long stressful day. Because of this I started to dislike Plato more than I already did because I just couldn't understand how anyone could dislike art when it was so important. Yeah I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion but I find it hard to believe that there hasn't been a time in his life when he wanted to escape reality.
And I don't understand why it's okay for him to write The Republic, which is a form of art and say it's not okay for anyone else because art distances you from reality.
My favorite part of this quarter was probably the imperfect societies debate. I had been dreading that debate all winter break but towards the end I actually started to enjoy it. Debating isn't my strong suit and it's nearly impossible for me to think on the spot. No matter how easy I realize the question was, once I've already answered, when I’m on the spot my mind goes completely blank. However, I felt like I was getting better and better at thinking on the spot as the days went on. I was on the tyranny group and when I was first assigned to it I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find ways to defend it because it went completely against everything I believed in. But by the end of the debate I started to find more things wrong with the other governments than tyranny. I even started to feel proud of being on team tyranny.

No comments:

Post a Comment